Saturday, October 23, 2010

Savvy Shopping - about that Thanksgiving Turkey

Ok, I've been contemplating this post for some time but haven't posted it because it's a bit whiny.  In fact, I've had it sitting in my editing list for a month or two but today something finally prompted me to finish it up.  The price of a frozen turkey.

My family and friends both here and in the US have gotten used to (and probably bored by) my rantings about the cost of living.  Yes, the company does provide a cost of living allowance which certainly helps, but we were notified that in July our allowance would be adjusted on the principle that after living here for 6-12 months we would become "savvy shoppers" with a keen eye for a bargain.  In other words, instead of shopping at Randalls or Publix, purchasing full price items, we'd have identified bargain stores and how to take advantage of sales.  In other words - we'd fill up at WalMart and Costco type places.  This resulted in about a 30% decrease in the allowance at a time when the AU dollar had gone from $0.65US to $0.99 US - essentially parity - so a real double whammy reducing our buying power significantly.

And here's the thing, there is no WalMart or Costco type place in Perth.  No big bargain warehouses where we can buy 18 toilet rolls at rock bottom prices. I suspect the calculation is based on eastern Australian shopping where such magical places do exist.  And, even if we could, we have no place to store said items.  Large quantities of my kitchen gear languish in the storage room in the basement as it is since there is no room in the kitchen.  The pantry consists of two pull out vertical drawers.  The fridge is about half the size of the typical US model.  We can't buy in bulk even if we wanted to.  Although I suppose I could stack the canned veg on top of our bedroom dresser that sits in the living room (because it won't fit in the master bedroom).

Regardless, ever the good corporate citizen I've been searching for bargains.  This means hitting the farmers market on Saturday mornings for fresh fruit and produce.  But even there I pay $7 for two sweet potatoes. I have come to the conclusion that there are no bargains to be had in Perth.  This was verified the other day when I cheerfully announced to Mike that I'd just had my car cleaned inside and out and was thrilled that it only cost $50.  He looked at me sideways and said, "you know that costs about $15-20 in the US right?".  I was all "no way!".  He just continued to look at me funny.

So, to prove I'm not crazy, y'all tell me how these documented prices compare, okay?

Back to my turkey - this got me today since it's just about Thanksgiving time.  Frozen Turkey - $60 for a 16-18lb, $50 for 10-15lb and $37.99 for a 7 lb. model.  When was the last time you paid more than $0.68 a pound for a Thanksgiving turkey?

We found a box of Grape Nuts on sale the other day.  It was marked down from $25 to $19.99, sitting on the shelf next to a box of Captain Crunch for $20. I  passed on the cereal but paid (happily) $10 each for jars of Goya Salsa Verde to make enchiladas.  You can sometimes get Dr. Pepper here...but you have to really want it - $2.50/can.  A bottle of water at the gas station runs from $2-$4.00 and I snap up Coke Zero (AU made) when I find it at 2 bottles for $5.

Like to drink?  A case of Corona (which oddly is EXTREMELY popular here) is $50-60.  Cheapie Australian beer runs $45/case but you can find the odd deal for $35/case if you are sharp, uh, make that savvy.

Entertainment?  I have mentioned before that movies are $17 (matinee) and $26 for a first run on the weekend.  But concerts make my eye bug out.  Three Dog Night and The Turtles concert - $145/each (this concert was canceled, no doubt because people wouldn't cough up the $$ - lets face it, their demographic has reached retirement age!), Michael Buble outdoor concert tickets are $140 General admission (no seats). $220 for a seat.  George Benson outdoors at Kings Park is $429 for 2 people, plus cost of any concessions and parking - so the evening easily runs well over $500.  I'll groove to the sweet tunes on CD thanks.

Clothing - sigh. It pains me. Purchased a pair of very cheaply made cotton shorts at Target this week for $35 - based on the construction I expect they'd be about half that in Houston. Shoes are Payless quality at Nordy's prices.  I was very happy recently to find a pair of shoes for a special occasion for only $80 - they are sitting in their box with the lid off so the plastic smell can off-gas before the event. They smell just like a barrel of west Texas' finest.  Finally broke down and purchased some upper body undergarments this week...decent middle of the line range for $70/each, but I did have a lovely woman make sure I got a good fit so that was worth it.

Mike suggested I include his dry cleaning from this morning.  One shirt, one pair of pants - $14.

And before this post gets even more ranty than it already is I offer the final, yet most damning, proof - I recently had a conversation with a notoriously cheap Scottish transplant to Perth who is giddily planning his retirement in the US because everything is so cheap there. :-)

1 comment:

Toiling Ant said...

Typically your posts make me envy your life, but DANG, woman, you can keep those prices! Holy moly... I would go nuts.