Sunday, November 22, 2009

It's just not the holidays when it's summertime

Thanksgiving week, and it's beach season. This is so, so wrong. I'm going to make a chicken and dressing casserole for Mike and I for Thursday the actual day, and then we're invited to a big Thanksgiving party on Sunday with a whole bunch of Aussies, so there will be some semblance of celebration, but its just not right. And lets not even talk about Christmas. Good thing we've got the kids coming to liven things up. I have gingerbread house kits for each of them and we'll manage to cobble together some sort of festive atmosphere I'm sure, but man. In the spirit of the season I just ordered pie crust mix and Karo syrup from USA Foods in Melbourne. From all the dire warnings on the website about the holiday rush I suspect it will take a couple of weeks to arrive but I'm thinking by Christmas I should at least have the makings of a pecan pie. This is just going to feel weird this year.

1 comment:

qandlequeen said...

Put up a tree, string lights around the house, pull the curtains and PRETEND it's winter. Hot cocoa and all.