Sunday, December 6, 2009

Survived!

Apparently the fastest speeds and highest winds they've encountered in the Flying Fifteens on the river in years. I loved it. Laughed, swallowed half the river, have a wicked forearm bruise, and hoped I get asked back :-) It was seriously rough but I was fortunate in that my skipper was kind and didn't need to win. We never set the spinnaker and chose to tack rather than go for some of the nasty jibs. Had four plus inches of water sloshing around inside the boat more than once. Had great views of many other boats going over. This is one of those boats where you anchor yourself in by your ankles and hang out over the side the entire time. This is not a posture I'm used to. Forget Pilates, go sailing! Now I understand why wetsuits, long sleeves, life jackets, etc are required. At one point I asked if perhaps a mask and snorkel would be appropriate what with the waves coming straight in my face. I hurt all over and have downed two Advil, but it was a blast.

No comments: