Saturday, December 5, 2009

Its snowing in Houston

But not here :-) It is really starting to feel like summer and I am basking in it like a lizard. Locals are looking at me like I'm crazy and saying things like "But its HOT outside" and I'm saying "Isn't it great!". Color me surprised. I always knew I preferred to sweat than shiver but didn't realize how much pleasure I could take from the thermometer finally hitting the high 90s. Mind you the mean average humidity in December is around 52%. That old saw about how "its not the heat, its the humidity" is so, so true. Today we got up crack o'dawn and met my Aussie breakfast girl gang near the house. Had a nice walk to the restaurant and some great conversation. My friend Sally has decided to campaign for public office. She's creating a new party. The Party Party Party. I am nominated as her science and technology minister. My future stretches out before me :-) Spent the rest of the morning getting the grocery shopping done, a bit of housework, some lovely book reading, an early dinner, and then met some Aggies for an outdoor movie up at Edith Cowen University. A summer phenomena, the outdoor cinemas in parks and university campuses are a great take off on the old drive-in movie concept. Giant movie screens set up within enclosures with canvas sling back deck chair seating. Tonight we picnicked by a lake on campus for an hour before the movie then went in and enjoyed the show. I got as much pleasure out of the experience of watching a movie outdoors for the first time in forever as I did from the very cute show itself (Stone of Destiny - google it). Tomorrow I have foolishly committed myself to sailing on a Flying Fifteen - a two person racer. Got a call out of the blue tonight, said "ok", and the next thing I knew I had a call offering me the use of a wet suit, life vest, booties, admonitions about sunscreen, hat stability, bringing my sailing gloves, etc. To the point where I finally had to ask "am I pretty much expected to die?" It appears that is not actually the intent but I'm supposed to turn up at 12:30 and can expect to be released by 6:30. Egads. Watch this spot for futher updates, or obituary notices....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It really is NOT the heat, it's the humidity. Nancy