Thursday, July 30, 2009

Sailing Photos

We finally scored some good weather again and got out on the water yesterday afternoon. This is Wed afternoon winter sailing, no spinnakers allowed. We're sailing in C class - 28 footers. Slightly less deeply competitive than normal summer racing, it's a great place for me to be learning the ropes so to speak :-) I got a promotion to fore-deck hand yesterday - learned how to pole the jib and only almost fell off the boat once. A few more times practicing and I'm sure I'll look just like an old sea dog. Got my official application in to join the yacht club so that Mike and I can toddle down for a roast dinner of an evening and have a comfy casual place to host drinks for visitors.
Some of the boat pens (as they are called)
Our crew - we're the only all female team racing on Wednesdays. We were on Bella this week. Left to right are Anne, Heather, and Kate - the skipper.
The city from the bow.
The club house
Sunset
Proof of our mad skills :-)
I'm getting a whole lot of pleasure out of sailing, and it's nice to be learning as I go along. The local yacht clubs are already making preparations and looking for volunteers for the World Sailing Championships in December 2011. I think that's something I'll pursue.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

a sailor's life for me!

(actually you - but it does look like fun!)
Nancy