Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Sydney Day 4

Woke up to some cold and miserable weather on Tuesday but after our great good luck the prior three days it was hard to complain (much). We were right in the thick of the real working world - important looking business men and women bustled in their uniformly black and gray business togs. My sister and I felt like peacocks in a crowd of crows in our perky orange and blue sweaters. We speculate that because clothes are so expensive people don't buy as many and so want to make sure everything mixes and matches. Trinny and Susannah would have had a field day with this lot. We decided to head to Darling Harbour and the Australian National Maritime Museum. The celebration of Charles Darwin's 200th birthday continues with a free exhibit about his voyages on the Beagle. There are a number of replica and original vessels docked at the museum and you could easily spend hours exploring the Beagle, Endeavor, submarines, Navy ships, etc. As it was we spent a couple of hours just visiting the regular exhibits and the Darwin displays. As a big Darwin fan and prior visitor to the Galapagos Islands I loved seeing the original drawings of wildlife and speculating about how wonderful and horrific it must have been to be an explorer and researcher 175 years ago. The History of the Swimsuit exhibit was pretty snappy too. My brother in law and sister had spotted an interesting downtown food court so we decided to head there for lunch. The black clad crowds descend underground for feeding :-) Admittedly upscale for a food court it had all the falafel/kebab, Chinese, Italian, and European food stalls you could desire. Tea at the Westin and then off to the airport to head back to Perth. The airport was great, the flight and the guy with the obvious lung congestion issues (swine flu?) in front of me were not so great. It takes forever to cross this jumbo sized country. A great trip and Sydney is high on the list of cities I know I could visit again and again and always find something new and interesting to get into.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read your blog from end to the beginning and I was most impressed!! Have you ever thought about writing a book? It truly made me miss all the good times we had and how much you make me laugh. You write beautifully.

Vicariously living through you Lyn, could never be as boring as toast. I could really visualize your experiences and the pictures were very nice. I am so HAPPY for you and am a bit envious!!

More the reason to visit! Maybe - Honeymoon, we just have to get thru the first couple of stages ;) We looked at more rings and I believe I found "THE ONE" so getting there!!

You take care girl and look forward to hearing more of your Aussie adventures!! They are much more interesting then what is going on in my Life, which is - WORK, WORK, and more WORK (but working from home 2 days a week is nice), trying to keep our grass from dying due to lack of rain, replacing our front Bay window due to rotting wood, trying to exercise and not pig out on bad food, and of course some play ;)

I will be checking your blog often as it is most entertaining and delightful!! Ryan, Daisy and Bogey say hello!! Tell Mike HI!!

As you always say Cheers

Kate