Monday, July 13, 2009

Sydney Day 2 - Bondi Rescue fan girl!

Not sure if you've heard of Bondi Rescue since it's an Aussie produced show...I can't even find it for sale on Amazon (out of stock). It's a reality/documentary show about the day to day of the lifeguard staff at Bondi Beach. They do something like 2500 rescues annually which means not only are these boys busy, and also that tourists can't read beach warning signs. You see their adventures in rescues, romance, crime, lost kids, injuries, etc with a hearty dose of humor along with the drama. I'm a complete fan girl...words like "OMG I get to go to Bondi and if I'm lucky I'll see one of the guys. Squee!" did come out of my mouth. It's ridiculous I know, but there it is. I love Bondi Rescue and am not afraid to say it. Check your National Geographic channel and you might be lucky enough to find it yourself. We took a bus from downtown Sydney to a beach south of Bondi to meet up with a former employee of my brother in law. They've been in AU since Jan and will only be here 18 months so they wisely decided to go water front. They know the area now and took us up to the cliff side walking path that hugs the coast. The first neato place we came to was this gorgeous enormous cemetery we had to cut through. I could have spent ages there reading the stones. The newest one I noticed was from the 1930s. Would love to have time for a picnic there one day reading about 100 year old family drama as played out on tombstones. Every cove and inlet had it's own name and own sea water swimming pool. The horizontal line you can see in the water is a barrier to keep big waves from washing swimmers out in the middle of their laps! After walking around several cliffs and coves, and seeing whales spouting and breaching offshore, we finally came to my own personal mecca....Bondi! Best of all...I got to see one of the guys I've seen on TV. The guy in the blue shirt exiting the lifeguard station. I knew I'd just humiliate myself by going all fan girl on him so contented myself with a shot from a distance. And the Bondi Surf Club. I know that one of the lifeguards purportedly lives in the top floor here. *Sigh* And lastly, more of the lifeguards practicing in the surf. I was a happy happy woman. And the beach, is freaking gorgeous. There's a reason people flock to it. I was all beach superior until I saw it but have to admit it's damn scenic. After lunch at an Italian place overlooking the beach we took the bus back to the CBD (Central Business District) and realized we had time to take a ferry ride out to Manly Beach as well. We hopped on board and had the great good fortune to sit across from a couple of Navy veterans who had been out on a remembrance march of some sort. They were still sporting their medals and had been celebrating the day rather liquidly before heading home themselves. They cheerfully told us about all the sights we were passing, weaving gently on their feet and only slurring slightly. It added greatly to the enjoyment of the trip for us all. Manly itself was a sort of Orlandoesque venue with family friendly boutiqes and kebab shops along a central walking mall. The beach, lets face it, couldn't compete with Bondi but was still worth seeing what with the surfers (shark bait) floating on the water while the full moon rose and moonlight sparkled around them. The return trip was as pretty as billed with the city lighting up as we headed back in. Dinner and an early bedtime were required as Monday was our 8AM departure for the Blue Mountains!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

If your looking to buy Bondi Rescue check out

http://www.bondirescuelifeguards.com/

Thanks for watching

Hoppo