Thursday, July 16, 2009

Waiting...

Waiting for the rental agent to do their quarterly inspection. We are informed by letter a week or so prior that they will be appearing any time between 9AM and 3PM on a specific date. If we are out, they will let themselves in. This date/time are non-negotiable. The premises must be inspected. We are to make sure there's no visible soap scum or kitchen leavings. They want clean windows too but it's winter and they can just wait till the weather clears up for that. Yes, it's motivating. I wiped down all the baseboards and scrubbed the inside of the stove burners and I assure you there's no mildew lurking in the shadows but frankly, it irks the heck out of me. It's the whole "like it or lump it" of the whole process. As renters we signed a two year lease for vast sums of money after weeks of wrangling and assurances that if we leave only an "executive" can take our place. Snobs. I'm sure this is a fantastic deal for the landlords and in return we're treated with suspicion and a faint hint that they expect us to damage the goods. For example - I'm not allowed to make any holes in the walls to hang art that were not already in existence. Not even those removable 3M wall hangers. Nothing, nada, zippo that isn't specifically approved by the authorities. After owning homes (or being in company owned housing) since about the age of 22 I find this both restrictive and offensive. I'm mentally vowing that we will not rent when we move back to the states. Period. I need to get over it and just appreciate the view. PS: *I used a 3M hanger for a picture - lets see if they spot it! Insert wicked laugh here...*

No comments: