Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Sometimes technology does NOT make life better

I have been wrestling with technology this week. It's a dull story, but suffice it to say that due to a clerical error ten years ago, I have ended up with two retirement accounts through one of the major plan administrators. The original account was split in two per my divorce and unbeknownst to me at the time, I got both halves because a lawyer did the paperwork wrong. My ex got both halves of a different plan account and in terms of amounts, it was a wash on each side. I tried to fix it years ago to no avail since he was happy with his accounts. So I've been getting dual statements and notifications for ten years. The amounts in the two halves of the account are almost exactly equal but not quite thank goodness, otherwise I'd never have figured out what was going on. One is easy-ish...its under my ss# and name so I changed my address when we moved to Perth and set up online access instead of paper statements. It took a couple of weeks and several calls to get new PIN numbers etc, but it did get done. Except for a typo, but really who cares if it's the Katy or Caty Freeway, right? The second one is a whole different story. For whatever magical reason all these accounts in this plan are tied to a ss# and don't have an actual individual account number. So when they split the one account, half is under my ss# and half is under a MADE UP SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER. All access to these accounts goes through the dreaded voice mail system which requires you to input your social security number. But this is a FAKE ss# so the system knows it's a fake and won't recognize it. Same with online access. The implication of criminal intent when I input the fake ss# is palpable. It's been a comedy trying to get it fixed and I feel sorry for the customer service reps who are being most helpful but can't understand what's going on until I tell them the whole story. Today, in theory, thanks to a helpful rep, I now have a request to change the mailing address on the fake ss# account submitted. I'll wait a week or two for a confirmation letter and then I can call back and request a new PIN number on that account to be mailed to me. Then I wait another week or two and when a new PIN number arrives to the correct mailing address, they say I will be able to access the account (via yet another international call) and THEN I can actually find out balances and maybe possibly if the stars are properly aligned, get online access. Security technology is my nemesis. At this point I'm pretty sure a criminal could find an easier way to access my account than I can. PS: Yes, I do know it's all for my own good blah blah blah.

3 comments:

qandlequeen said...

I had signed up for a phone plan via a telemarketing call and a non-native speaker. All was hunky dorey until one day I tried to call customer service about something and I couldn't verify the ss#. Seems the guy who entered my info misspelled my name, screwed up my SS# and something else.

I wasn't able to cancel the account, transfer it or extend it so it ended up going into collections, but there was no way they could come after me.

Lyn said...

It is really irksome isn't it. You're all like "no really, I did sign up, and I will pay you but you've mucked it up so badly now we're all totally confused!"

CKD said...

Like our bout with Verizon. We got a follow up call on our service call and the guy was all chirpy about their great service. I started off with "let me TELL you about your >>>>service" and he said "Well, have a nice day", before I even got started. Mom