Sunday, August 16, 2009

Entertainment

There is not much better than a big pile of shiny new books. Nearly all by authors I haven't read yet too which just opens up a whole world of fun. I have already worked my way through all but two of these and have enjoyed them all. E.M. Delafield's Provincial Lady series is great fun, and very low stress. A perfect rainy weather, cup of tea type read. Monica Dicken's One Pair of Hands about a society girl's 18 month excursion into the life of a domestic in 1930's London is also pleasant, and doesn't require deep thought of any sort. Soothing. Mary Renault is always good for an ancient history fix, and Parnassus on Wheels is the precursor to The Haunted Bookshop which I adored. I started it last night and am torn between savouring it slowly and reading through quickly so I find out what happens (I have my suspicions already having read the sequel). Watching a few fluffy movies I'd recorded as well, though nothing I'd say anyone must see. Last night I tried to watch Into the Wild. I'd read Jon Krakauer's book of the same name and was intrigued, but the movie, bah! Turned it off about 20 minutes in when he burned up all his money and took off walking in the desert. That was just annoying. The kid must have had some sort of underlying brain chemistry issue and this is not entertainment in my world. So I watched that great old comedy, The Philadelphia Story, instead. Young Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn...what's not to love? Mike called from Singapore and rashly offered to visit the giant Borders there for me. I sent him a couple of requests but he reported back that books are pretty dear in Singapore too darn it all. Guess I'll get on the local library website and see if I can hunt up some more good British cozies to keep me company instead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The provincal lady books are adorable. SBG has turned me back on to Graham Greene and he is definately worth revisiting. Look for Angela Thirkell books too. Low stress, funny English comedy of manners. What could be better! Nancy