Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Whew...and good news all the way around

It was a heck of a few weeks but things have settled down at last. The company had a parade of auditors and executives visiting from the U.S. and Mike takes his duties as host very seriously. As a result we dined out endlessly and hosted multiple dinners at home. It's one thing to have pals over, and quite another to have work people visit...planning menus, making sure the house is clean enough to impress, and coming up with sparkling conversation. Trust me, this is not easy with auditors. Add job interviewing, the demise of a beloved pet, a stressed spouse, and a pushed out Navy OCS date for the son and the sense of being slightly overwhelmed was, perhaps, justified. But that's all behind us now! Mike is in Kuala Lampur staying at a gorgeous hotel, telling me how much I'll like it, and sending me tantalizing photos of the city: Plus Alex has gotten a new OCS date from the Navy of Oct 25th which will mean a graduation sometime in the Feb/March time frame if all goes well. He nailed the physical fitness test, appears to have at last gotten most of the official paperwork done, and figured out that he needs to basically hound the Nashville Navy recruiters office till they send him off just to get rid of him :-) This is all goodness. And Laura has adopted a new dog, Andy, because being without a dog "just doesn't feel right". He will never replace Zulu which is as it should be but he'll provide all that much needed dog love that makes a house feel like home. He's a young 65lb shepherd mix of some sort and per Laura will need a firm hand and some training but she's just the girl to give it to him. I'm happy that she's happy. Then there's this whole work thing. They got 7 solid hours of documentation labor out of me on Monday (during which I had to move my car 3 times, in the rain, since there are 2 hour parking limits. I was damp). I successfully edited a 'how to' document for a client that I think they needed a week ago. The boss and I started to discuss how to hire me but didn't come to any solid conclusions. He was off to the US on Tuesday and left it that I'm to come back in to the office Friday to meet two more managers, review some testing needs, and then presumably we'll take it from there. Frankly I'm glad to have a few days of downtime before going back in. There are photos of various animals and plants waiting for my next entry. We're oozing slowly into spring here and some of the wildflowers are starting to bloom. I hear September is wonderful for the flowers and am excited to see them all in action.

No comments: