Monday, August 17, 2009

Surprising food longings...

I do feel pretty silly about nearly all of them because there is barely a healthy item in the bunch and most of these items I will only eat just a few times a year as it is since they are guilt food. Ball Park hot dogs - even the fat free ones - with that horrible canned hot dog chili sauce Velveeta - I want queso Rotel tomatoes - see above Monterrey Jack - ditto Hell, any Mexican cheese... Pace picante sauce - Old El Paso doesn't cut it Good Mexican food period...(see a theme yet?) Jello pudding Solid white canned tuna in spring water Jiffy Corn bread mix for recipes Bisquick - I have one small box I will probably hoard in a miserly fashion until it goes off A good burger joint Fish tacos Fried oysters - why oh why won't they fry an oyster here? Those pre-fab pastry shells & roll out pie crusts Marie Callenders frozen bake and serve pie. I only bought one about once a year, but still... Canned Corned Beef hash for Sunday breakfast And in fairness, here's a list of things that are better: Fresh veggies - a superior selection in terms of quality and variety Breads - lovely nutty whole grain breads, Turkish bread Sandwiches - the most gorgeous variety of meat and vegetarian sandwiches are on offer at every local cafe. Loaded with spinach, cucumbers, roasted peppers. Scallops COFFEE! - Vastly tastier in every little local or big chain cafe as well Vegetarian options on menus Lamb :-) Quiches and fritattas - infinite variety in the cafes, most involving pumpkin or sweet potato which I love Savory muffins - who knew? Sausage rolls in filo pastry Cooked sushi varieties - beef, chicken, tofu - I know it sounds weird but it's tasty Meat pies - in handy to-go size. I've only had one, but I applaud their efforts Bacon - which is nice lean Canadian type bacon here Scones Cream in every possible configuration (although, no actual half & half as we know it in the states) And a couple of things I haven't tried: Spaghetti Bolognese potato - a baked potato hollowed out and filled with spaghetti then rolled in crumbs. Who dreamed this little beauty up? Scotch Egg - boiled egg wrapped in sausage, and again, crumbed. I understand people love them but I remain skeptical.

1 comment:

KellyLynne said...

The spaghetti potato sounds interesting...

You need a care package from home.